August 14, 2013
Dear Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton School District Community,
On behalf of the school board, administration, faculty, and support staff, it is truly my pleasure to extend a warm and heartfelt welcome to you as we begin the 2013-2014 school year. The beginning of a new school year provides time to reconnect with old friends and opportunity to develop new friendships. We at DGF are very pleased to welcome everyone to the school district. To those students and parents who are new to DGF we extend an especially warm welcome and best wishes for an exciting and productive year as you begin your journey within our community. We hope you will quickly feel at home and become involved in the activities and programs offered within our schools.
As we begin the new school year, students and parents will see some familiar and some new faces within the building administrative team. Ms. Peg Hanson and Mrs. Shannon Dahlberg return at Dilworth Elementary School and Glyndon-Felton Elementary School respectively. Mrs. Heidi Critchley takes over as Principal at DGF Middle School and Mr. Matt Naugle begins his first year as Principal at DGF High School. In addition, Mr. Joe O’Keefe returns as Community Education and Activities Director for the district. It is my vow that this administrative team as well as all certified and non-certified staff will work diligently with parents to foster an atmosphere that promotes a learning community characterized by child-centered instruction, academic excellence, trust, respect, community involvement, and recognition of both student and staff achievement. Working together, we will move forward to create a nurturing, disciplined, and challenging environment in which ALL students can and will learn at optimum levels.
This fall the DGF School District is anticipating a record K-12 enrollment of over 1500 students. This includes over 500 open-enrolled students; a senior class of 95 students; and an incoming kindergarten class of 170 students. The following are the grade alignments for the DGF School District:
- DGF Elementary –Dilworth site: K-4
- DGF Elementary –Glyndon site: K-5
- DGF Middle School –Dilworth site: 6-8
- DGF High School – Glyndon site: 9-12
Highlights for 2013-2014
- We continue to update facilities to meet classroom needs due to enrollment increases. The DGF MS Gymnasium has been given a full refurbishment for the first time in over twenty years.
- Our district continues to maintain a low student to teacher ratio for all elementary classrooms. Last year our overall K-5 student to teacher ratio was approximately 19-1. Based on community support, we anticipate maintaining similar ratios for the 2013-2014 school year.
- We have expanded our wireless connectivity with filtered and secure access at all sites to maintain student safety.
- We continue to provide every day physical education for all elementary students of the district.
- As part of a continued district goal, certified staff will utilize Professional Learning Community (PLC) concepts to monitor and adjust educational programming.
- Essential Learner Outcomes (ELO) for our K-5 science and social studies curriculum will be developed. In addition, ELOs for K-5 math and reading, and 6-12 content areas developed during the 2012-2013 school year are posted by grade and/or department on the school web site: www.dgf.k12.mn.us
- Extended day programming will be expanded at all sites including services for Gifted & Talented!
These are exciting times at DGF! I truly believe that our school district is blessed to have an outstanding staff to work with our children to meet our district vision of educating individuals in an environment of trust and respect, so they become self-directed, responsible, life-long learners. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or need further clarification on district programs. I would be happy to answer your questions and/or discuss your concerns. You may contact me directly through my e-mail address: email@example.com or by phone at the district (218) 287-2371, Ext. 104.
Bryan Thygeson, Superintendent